Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"I Preach Truth, Not Oppinion"

It's no surprise to many that I don't exactly hold to many of the beliefs/doctrines I grew up hearing and believing. I question things, and many times (not all the time) with questions come the changing of one's mind. (I know, I know...very dangerous)
Yes, I have changed my mind about many, many things. I am quite certain about one thing...that I am uncertain about things and will change my mind again. That is, things I believe to be true now, I will disagree with in a few years/weeks/days.
I over heard someone recently say boast that at their church, truth, rather than opinion, is preached. This is a familiar idea to me, and I suspect that many church's feel this way... That their pastor speaks (absolute) truth and not "his/her" (though more likely to be "his") opinions.
I get this. But I will confess that when I speak or write, I am (in many ways) giving the audience my opinion, and more than likely, so is your pastor.
We have been given an incredible gift/responsibility. We Not only get to read scripture, we also get to interpret it. It's unavoidable. Scripture has to be interpreted.
And with our interpretations comes all sorts of factors and influences.
Our upbringing, our culture we live in, our financial income, our race, our own presuppositions, and of course, our past experiences. These all play a huge roll in our interpretation of the text.
So when someone makes a statement insinuating that my thoughts or my theology about God, the Bible, and the church are results from my own experiences with God, the Bible, and the church I would have to say... "yep, and so are yours".
That's not to say that we can't speak truth or that truth is relative or the spirit doesn't lead us, (I do believe the spirit guides us) but we all are shaped and molded by our personal experiences and influences, no exceptions.
I guarantee that the pastor that says he speaks absolute truth would disagree with some of his own sermons from 10 years ago where he also believed to be speaking truth. And 10 years from now he will probably disagree with some of what he believes now to be truth.
I also don't believe in one interpretation. We, as people seeking truth, can come to different conclusions over the text, and this doesn't necessarily mean that one is more right than the other (of course sometimes, one is more right than the other). God meets us where we are.
Writers of the New Testament did this with the Hebrew scriptures. They quoted text and interpreted it in their context in which they were living. They used it to relate to their circumstances at that specific time.
Yes, the Spirit guides us, and yes, our interpretations are objective.
But that's just my opinion.

No comments: