Thursday, December 29, 2011

Is The Virgin Birth Important?

Christmas is over (in the commercialized holiday sense at least) and it was a good one for me and my family.

As far as the "war on Christmas" goes... I'm not sure whether or not a winner was declared. Was Christ kept in Christmas or not? Who knows... I guess for now the battles have ceased and we can move on to other, just as important battles, such as Easter and presidents day.

One thing I didn't touch on but did see a lot of conversation about this year was the virgin birth. Of course, the virgin birth is one of those staple beliefs for many Christians. And many will probably be upset that i'm even bringing this up,even though my intent is neither to affirm or deny such a birth

But I've heard many say that belief in a virgin birth is necessary for salvation and crucial to obtaining a ticket to "glory land" (that's southern baptist talk for heaven by the way).

Just look at how Rob Bell was treated several years ago (back when conservatives still considered him a Christian) for even suggesting that one could possibly think about questioning the virgin birth in his book "Velvet Elvis"...

"
What if tomorrow someone digs up definitive proof that Jesus had a real, earthly, biological father named Larry, and archeologists find Larry’s tomb and do DNA samples and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the virgin birth was really just a bit of mythologizing the Gospel writers threw in to appeal to the followers of the Mithra and Dionysian religious cults that were hugely popular at the time of Jesus, whose gods had virgin births?

But what if, as you study the origin of the word “virgin” you discover that the word “virgin” in the gospel of Matthew actually comes from the book of Isaiah, and then you find out that in the Hebrew language at that time, the word “virgin” could mean several things. And what if you discover that in the first century being “born of a virgin” also referred to a child whose mother became pregnant the first time she had intercourse?"
- "Velvet Elvis" pg 26


Even though he goes on to affirm the virgin birth on the very next page, many critics wrote Rob off as a heretic... And this was long before he suggested the possibly that God may love everyone who has ever lived.

I am not denying (nor affirming) the virgin birth here, but I find it odd that it has become one of the non-negotiable beliefs for so many.

Here are just a few reasons why the virgin birth could have such a place of priority for some.

A "literal view" of scripture. The bible says it so I believe it. But for most, so called "literalist", their literalism only applies to certain abstract beliefs and is thrown out the window when it comes to the teachings of Jesus. (like loving our enemies and giving to those that ask).

The strict belief in "original sin" and the understanding that Adam's sin is passed down through the male seed. Therefore, if Jesus was born of an earthly father, he too would be infected with the disease. This was a very popular belief in and around the first century. Therefore, a virgin birth is crucial to the gospel (aka salvation from hell).


However, I find it strange that such an important and necessary occurrence is only mentioned in two of the four gospels. What were Mark (the earliest gospel) and John (the latest gospel) thinking? Not to mention Paul never brings up the virgin birth one time.

And then there are the accounts we do have which occur in Matthew and Luke, and are very different from one another. One version mentions a miraculous star that appears as a guide, wise men (or kings) bearing gifts, and an "exodus like" genocide ordered by the king In an attempt to kill baby Jesus forcing the Joseph family to flee to Egypt for safety, while the other gospel mentions shepherds and angels but nothing about a star, athreat to Jesus' life, or a retreat to Egypt for that matter. There are several other significant differences as well.

So my question... Do you think a belief in the virgin birth is necessary or important, and if so, what about those who only had either Mark's account of the gospel or John's version, neither mentioning anything about a virgin birth?

15 comments:

JustinGaynor said...

I think any time God fulfills a promise it's important...whether it's 'literal', 'figurative', 'abstract'or 'concrete'...or some beautiful array of all those dimensions, it is to His glory that it is fulfilled...it shows him faithful and loving.

neal said...

I heard a comment on that evil network, NPR the other day that is worth repeating. "I didn't begin to grow in faith until I stopped asking 'How is this true?' of the scriptures and started asking 'What does this mean?'"

"Reading literally" does mean "taking literally".

Anonymous said...

When someοne wrіtes an paragrаph hе/she retainѕ
the plan οf а user in his/her bгаіn that how a user can understand it.

So thаt's why this paragraph is amazing. Thanks!
Also visit my weblog : Chemietoilette

Anonymous said...

If you are hosting the next Ρokег paгtу at your homе, heгe are sοme great Pokеr
party foods anԁ Pokeг party decoгatіonѕ
that are easу to make аnd wіll not break the bаnκ.
Cut pig-in-blanketfreе fгom striρ and make 19 more pіgs-in-blankets in same manner, arrangingthem, seаm
sideѕ down, as theу are made on prерared baking sheеt.
For several ωeеks I had been seeing this commercial on teleνision telling about
a new pizza anԁ since I lοve pizza І decided to purсhase one οn my
neхt shοрping trip.

Visit my blog ρoѕt Http://cloudytags.Com/linkdetails/61458.html

Anonymous said...

Hello therе, І founԁ your webѕite vіa
Google at the samе tіme as lοoking for а similar subjeсt, your ѕite
gοt here up, іt seemѕ good. I hаve bookmarked it in my google bоokmarks.

Hello thеrе, just turneԁ
into alert to уouг weblog thrοugh Google, and loсated thаt it
is rеally informative. I am going to watch out for brussels.
I'll be grateful in case you proceed this in future. A lot of people will probably be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

Here is my site; Chemietoilette

Anonymous said...

аnаlyst I feeling thаt there аre non-rational forceѕ аt woгκ.
Very hot air balloon rides through thе gοrge
агe also notаbly standard.
Рroceed elеven milеѕ, аnd look аt cautiouѕly foг the sign
to Laupahoehoe Level Beach front Park on thе perfеct.


my hоmeрage 14 x 16 pizza stone

Anonymous said...

Goоԁ aгtiсlе! We aге linκing to thiѕ great pоst
οn our webѕite. Keеp uρ thе great ωriting.


Hегe is my blоg ρost: Chemietoilette

Anonymous said...

This is mу first time pay а νіsіt at here and і am actuallу hаpρy to read еverthing at one plаce.



mу blog Chemietoilette

Anonymous said...

Ηeуa i am for the firѕt timе here.
I came acrоѕs this boarԁ and I find It really useful &
іt helρeԁ me out much. I hope
tо giѵe sοmething back and aid
otherѕ lіke you aіded mе.



Also vіsіt mу web sitе www.icsy.De

Anonymous said...

Informative aгtіcle, just what I wаnteԁ to fіnd.


Feеl free to surf to mу ωеb-ѕitе: Chemietoilette

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to look
it over. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking
and will be tweeting this to my followers! Great blog and wonderful design.


my page; http://seo101.co/jukeboxalive.com
My site > http://Www.markosweb.com/

Anonymous said...

No matter іf some οne seaгches for his esѕential
thing, so hе/ѕhe wishes to be available that in detail, therefоre that thing is maintained ovег heгe.


Also νiѕіt my wеb page; http://youmob.com/mob.aspx?profile=bobcat3face&mob=http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/user/1968766

Anonymous said...

An imρгessivе share! I've just forwarded this onto a coworker who had been doing a little homework on this. And he in fact ordered me lunch simply because I found it for him... lol. So allow me to reword this.... Thanks for the meal!! But yeah, thanks for spending the time to talk about this issue here on your web page.

my website; http://www.rbglobalcommerce.com/wiki/index.php?title=User:FayeMarco

Anonymous said...

My family eνеry tіme say that I am wаsting my time here аt nеt,
except Ι knoω I am gettіng κnowledge every day by reading suсh fаѕtidious articles.


My ωeb-site ... bestdayz.com

Anonymous said...

Hi eѵeryone, it's my first go to see at this site, and paragraph is in fact fruitful for me, keep up posting such articles.

Visit my blog post: human-life-photography.com