Thursday, September 1, 2011

"Be Prepared To Get Some Crap For That"

Yesterday, my wife, melissa, wrote and posted a blog titled, "Don't Be An Ass". You can read it here. The post is all about making assumptions, very practical.

Our computer is being worked on right now so Mel was using my iPad, which she doesn't like, to edit her post when she accidentally posted it.

The thing you have to understand is that my wife doesn't like for people to be mad at her, she doesn't like to receive negative feedback, and she was really nervous about her post because it contained the word, "ass".

She texted me as soon as she posted it and said her stomach was in knots, she was nervous about the reaction she thought she would get because of that little word.

So you can imagine her reaction when I tell her I'm writing about my thoughts on subjects like "hell", a non-literal interpretation of the Bible, salvation,Emergent, or creationism and evolution. She usually says something like, "Be prepared to get a lot of crap for that."

And I am (usually) prepared for all the push back. I've gotten use to people not agreeing with me (for I usually do write with "the other" in the back of my mind), or even receiving negative feedback. In fact, I encourage it for the most part. My ultimate goal, as far as others are concerned, is to get people to think about, or re-think, what they believe.

It's not about getting people to change their minds, or persuading people to agree with me. I just want people to think, it was one of the best things to ever happen to me. For it is truly binding to feel as though you can not speak your mind or give your views and opinions, especially when it comes to your faith.

However, I wasn't always use to the push back. It was something that had to develop over time and it took some getting use to. But I have found a type of freedom in speaking (or writing) my mind, even if I know it will get some negative reactions. For even a negative reaction or comment can start a productive conversation in which both sides can learn from each other.

So I encourage you to think, re-think, and speak your mind about your views and beliefs. Its liberating and At worst, you might be proven wrong, and that will just lead to another opportunity to rethink everything all over again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

as a child of fundamentalism, i have spent a long time de-programming and nothing i knew prepared me for all the crap i got...now, at 67, i'm pretty secure in not knowing much except my personal experience with The Presence....glad i was able to get to that! i also post a lot of stuff about questioning the whole "program" and get have gotten a lot of crap about that...but believe me, the crap online is tame compared to what an earnest seeker experiences in the family or the streets when he goes a different way....in the end, i love 'em all...they just decided they couldn't hang with an apostate so it opened up the opportunity to make new family.....i don't believe in anything anymore that i cannot practice and see results from....not tryin' to convert anybody else...my conversion is taking a lifetime....:-) Peace
keep up the good work...LOVE

Anonymous said...

i posted the "child of fundamentalism" thing, but it shows "anonymous"...i'm not in hiding anymore. My name is Stephen Pipkin-Savage and I am 67 years old and a believer in my Maker, The Presence.

Geoff Welch said...

I love this... It mirrors much of what I have been thinking about and how much we all need to be thoughtful about our faith.

Jkub said...

Stephen,

Thanks for the comment. It sounds like we have some things in common. Always good to hear a little bit of someone else's journey.

Geoff,

Thanks to you as well.

Davo said...

"So I encourage you to think, re-think, and speak your mind about your views and beliefs. Its liberating and At worst, you might be proven wrong, and that will just lead to another opportunity to rethink everything all over again."

Well said! I couldn't agree more! Approaching my beliefs with the open perspective that I could be wrong is so incredibly humbling and challenges me to seek security and identity in God rather than in what I think to be true.

Jkub said...

Davo,

Thanks for reading and for the kind words.