Friday, June 3, 2011

Do We Have A Part In The Coming Of The Kingdom?

I recently watched the interview between John Piper and Rick Warren, and I have to say I didn't realize that Warren was such the Calvinist. I watched almost all of the video but didn't finish the last 20 minutes. It was pretty long.

Of course there were comments made I didn't agree with, no surprise there, but I do want to mention one or two things.

Let me say that I have no interest in critiquing the participants (Piper or Warren) themselves or make these posts about the video, rather the interview gave me something to write about and thats why I mention the video at all, because it is the source of the topic, so to speak. So there is no need in defending what Warren said or what he meant by his statements because that's not the point here.

However, What stood out to me in the dialogue was when Warren said he doesn't believe that we (human beings) have any part in the ushering in of the Kingdom of God. None, zilch, zero (Which i guess makes sense if you believe in the doctrine of predestination). Instead, our purpose is to present the gospel to others so that they can get saved (even though they have already been predestined to do so).

For God is sovereign, which in this case means that God controls EVERYTHING right down to who gets to go to heaven and who HAS to go to hell... And of course where we go when we die is the point of everything. Warren says the reason God doesn't just kill us and take us to heaven when we "get saved" is because God is shaping us and preparing us to spend eternity with God. We shouldn't be focused on the "here and now", but rather the "there and later". (Again, I am paraphrasing)

So We are here to get saved and then "go into all the world and make disciples" out of other people (aka get other people saved), that's it. (I have not read Warrens book about the purpose of life, but I hope it's more than that.)

I'm not sure why this comment surprised me, for I think many (of the more conservative) Christians believe and would say the same thing. We get saved and then we witness so others will get saved. Which is why I am writing and asking these questions.

Is this what Jesus' teachings were all about... Ultimately to get some people into heaven?

Monday I'll write the second half of this post which deals a little more with my view, But for now I just want to present this topic as well as the question.

Do you think that We, as Christ followers, have any role to play in the coming of the Kingdom of God?

Your thoughts?...

2 comments:

JustinGaynor said...

"Is this what Jesus' teachings were all about... Ultimately to get some people into heaven?"

More like Heaven is coming, get ready.

"Do you think that We, as Christ followers, have any role to play in the coming of the Kingdom of God?"

It's something He commands us to pray for and to work towards that salvation as well, not that its us that works but Him at work in and through us...the horse is prepared for battle, but victory belongs the Lord...you have to ignore whole swaths of scripture pre and post resurrection to get round that. IMHO

Jkub said...

Thanks Justin, well said.