Tuesday, May 31, 2011

UN/Common: A Conversation So Rare

My wife and I spent the weekend in Wilmington with our dear friends, the Tilly's. Paul and I have been friends now for about 9 or 10 years and since he lives roughly 4 hours away there is always much theology for us to catch up on when we hang out.

In my opinion, our friendship Is a good example of what the diverse, Christian church should look like. Paul and I, many times do not see eye to eye when it comes to our theological understandings, and though we disagree on some pretty big, controversial topics and issues, our different interpretations have never been an issue or a hindrance to our friendship. If anything, we are better friends because of them.

We learn from one another, challenge one another, and never intend to make converts out of one another. I don't feel the need to prove to Paul how right I am and how wrong he is. ;) ...or vice versa.

We simply enjoy the conversation and enjoy sharing with one another the journey that each of us are on.

It saddens me that this is such a rare thing.

2 comments:

MATTHEW BOYD said...

I am pretty sure that I have posted this on your blog before, but do not remember. Are you familiar with George Patterson's three levels of authority? If so, what do you think? If not, let me know and I will either post them as a comment or send them as a personal message to you.

Paul Tilly said...

I totally disagree with this entire post and will prove why its so wrong on our next wing/coffee grudge match....*sarcasm*

Funny thing is Krissy and I were just having this same conversation.

The beauty is we agree where it matters most. The rest just bonds us and challenges us to search deeper. Good UN|filtered® conversation is a good thing.