Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Jesus, Raise From The Dead Already

The season of Lent is upon us once again. The time of year where, as the church, we in some minor ways, "die to ourselves", reflect upon the crucifixion, and ultimately anticipate the resurrection of Jesus.

As most people already know, I grew up Southern Baptist, so observing Lent is somewhat new to me, for we always thought it was solely for catholics, and I've even heard some speak of how pointless it is.

But last year my wife and I took on the 40 days of Water challenge giving up every kind of liquid substance other than water.

IT SUCKED! I could not wait for Jesus to come out of that tomb.

If you know much about me then you know I love coffee, and I found out last year that it goes beyond mere love, but rather somewhat of an addiction. I had the worst headache of my life for the first few week. I resorted to eating chocolate covered coffee beans and even, at one point resorted to sucking on, as well as chewing on, plain coffee beans... which is horrible by the way.

However, i do not think it was for nothing or at all pointless. I truly did pay more attention to, as well as focused on and meditated on the events leading up to the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus. For me, Lent progressed my awareness, in a small way, of the event of the resurrection as the inauguration of ALL things being made new, the captives being set free, and a eschatological hope in a return to the "Garden".

In one way or another, the experience provided me with a deeper understanding of the saving grace we all experience through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, the messiah.

No comments: