Thursday, March 3, 2011

I Have A Confession About Hell

Alright, confession... I like to discuss hell. There I said it. And with all this talk going on, it's really tempting for me to only write about hell.

So I will once again give into the temptation.

Why is it that we can disagree on many things within the christian faith, but hell doesn't seem to be one of them? I don't see anywhere that says or even hints that you must believe in hell in order to be saved (from hell).

And in my experience, it seems it's perfectly fine to have a different view of heaven (although, not too different), especially if it excludes certain people, but it's very scandal-as to even suggest that...

Jesus is the savior of all people, especially those who believe...

or that Jesus is making all things new...

or that all of creation is awaiting the renewal of all things...

or that Jesus will draw all people unto himself...

or that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord...

or just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all, for as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive...

or that God was reconciling the world unto himself in Christ, not counting people's sins against them...

or that God will bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ...

or that through him (Christ) to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood shed on the cross...

Or that the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people...

Or that Jesus was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone...

Or that He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only our sins but also for the sins of the whole world.

I like the question Doug Pagitt asked yesterday... "Can we overstate the Love of God?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am confused by your blog. Foremost because Christians do differ on ideas about Hell. Books have been scribed containing most of the most popular held views in Evangelicalism. Such as: the Literal view; Metaphorical view; Purgatorial view; and the Conditional view. I am uncertain if you intend to expound on this topic at a later date, but in my opinion, your comments seems befuddling and not fully developed.

On a further note: I am not certain there is topic that people, especially the religious, are not willing to debate upon. I enjoy reading your thoughts, but I just was left wanting. I hope you plan on elaborating it on a future date. Thanks.

Ken Silva said...

Goug asked the worng question: http://apprising.org/2011/03/03/doug-pagitt-on-rob-bell-and-universalism/

Beautiful Sky Above said...

I sure hope you are right about the non existence of hell. I wonder why God felt that it was so important to include the topic of hell so many times in the Bible if it doesn't really exist? I guess one day we will all find out the truth about heaven and hell and wether God was pulling our legs on these eternal homes.