Monday, February 14, 2011

I Hate Apologetics

It's amazing the things we can 'do' with the bible. The bible has been used to justify some of the most horrific actions throughout history. And as we know, anyone can pretty much make the scriptures say whatever they want it to.

The bible has been used to exclude, hate, and discriminate against all kinds of people, and this is still happening in many churches and communities today.

Why do we desire to use the text in this way?

In many ways, I think it comes down to our need to 'control' others (especially, THE other).

This 'need to control' is so evident in the current class I am taking.

Somehow I was suckered into taking an apologetics class. It was disguised as a philosophy class. The material is all about how to prove what you believe is right and more superior to everyone else's belief.

Why do we feel the need to do this? Why do we make our faith into one big argument of "my beliefs are better than yours"?

As I've mentioned before, even the language that is being used throughout the text book sound more like war strategies than they do ways of "presenting the good news." I don't think we often realize the affect our words have and how much destruction and violence they insight.

It's been a tough class for me (and my grades are reflecting it) . For instance, my recent essay question asked what my response would be if a friend of mine denied the divinity of Jesus. I wanted to write something like, "Ok, cool. Now let's go get some coffee or something." but my answer has to be two pages long, so that answer doesn't really suffice.

I think it's time we stop treating our faith as some kind of war we are fighting with everyone else, this produces many unnecessary enemies. Rather begin to simply show the love of God to all people. What could be better proof of what we believe?

3 comments:

JustinGaynor said...

'Rather begin to simply show the love of God to all people. What could be better proof of what we believe?'

The irony is that this method you propose is exactly how we are called to 'fight the good fight' because 'we do not war against flesh and blood (or ideologies)'...you should write that up for your apologetics paper :-)

Just be prepared...'Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together.'

'For there are many who are insubordinate,empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision party. They must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for shameful gain what they ought not to teach.'

Grace and peace,
JNG

Jkub said...

Actually, pretty much every writing I have written does come down to that... They will know us by our love, not our ability to argue strategicly. And my grades are reflecting it. Haha. I pretty sure that's not what they are looking for. Oh well.

JustinGaynor said...

What do you do when your friend asks you what you think about Jesus? And you believe you know that he disbelieves?

I think apologetics is useful when we are asked to give an account for the hope we have. A question no doubt drawn out by the observation of supernatural love. The context you are describing seems to me simply pearls before swine.