Friday, January 14, 2011

Are We Greedy with Grace?

Grace is unfair as I have said before. Its a scandal. People who don't deserve it, well they have it. And I think instead of being angry about it, we should be thankful for it.

People do not like the idea of certain people having the same grace as they do, but God causes it to rain on the righteous and the unrighteous, right?

Anytime I am speaking with someone about the free gift of grace... They usually respond with, "but what about _________ (insert undeserving recipient here). To which I am happy to respond, "yep, i think they are covered as well.

It's amazing to me how greedy we are with grace. We sing about how amazing it is, but we don't want some people to experience it, because we. Don't think they deserve it.

Who are we to pick and choose who deserves grace, and who doesn't?

Well thank God it's not up to us.

Jesus says in Luke, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed..."

I think we can be pretty greedy with the grace we have been given. We have to remember that we have been blessed so that we can bless others, not because we are special or did something right.

I want to bless other people because I know that I have been blessed, and one way I want to do that is by showing others the grace I have been given.

2 comments:

melissa said...

lovely post. grace is crazy. i don't {DESERVE} it any more than the next guy. but i am so glad i have it...abundantly.

JustinGaynor said...

Wonderful post indeed and a good check on ourselves to see how we are stewarding what has been entrusted to us...

led me to this this morning, thanks!

Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another,as good stewards of God’s varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.