Saturday, October 2, 2010

What WOULD Jesus (actually) Do?


I am reading John Caputo’s book called “What Would Jesus Deconstruct? The Good News of Post-Modernism for the Church.” I am only through the first few chapters and I am really enjoying it.

The main illustration used in the book is the deconstruction of the phrase, “What Would Jesus Do?” Like I Said, I haven’t finished the book and am not even deep enough into it to discuss it in detail, but I have been thinking about the phrase “What Would Jesus Do?” and how it has been used over the years.

We have all seen the bumper stickers, shirts, hats, and of course the bracelets, (which someone ironically made a fortune off of) and we have all probably heard someone use or we have used the phrase ourselves in one situation or another.

However, I think we have deeply missed the point of the question. For one thing, it is a really deep question and is a lot of times (maybe not all the time) really hard to translate into today’s society. It is a very tough question but is it really the question that we have been asking?

The question, in my experiences, has often been presented from someone with raised eye brows looking down on someone else saying, “Now what would Jesus do?” which sounds much more like, “Now would Jesus do that?” So for the most part the question isn’t concerned with what Jesus would actual DO (because that is really hard and scary) but rather, is much more concerned with what they think Jesus WOULD NOT do.

I think this is what most of westernized, domesticated Christianity is concerned with… The don’t “do’s” of Christianity! I mean that’s how we have been “judging” who are Christians and who aren’t, by what people abstain from isn’t it?

But what if we were actually concerned with the “Do’s” of Christianity? I think a lot more good would stem from asking the (tough) question in the right way (which is complex) instead of being so SATISFIED with what we (and especially others) are not doing?

No comments: