Monday, October 11, 2010

What Matters More? (warning: explicit)

I thought this was an appropriate follow up to yesterdays post on "Verbal" Voilence.

This is a controversial song by one of my favorite artist, Derek Webb. Its controversial because of its content and because a certain word that begins with an "S" is present in the song.

The song calls into question our priorities and how Christians get caught up in arguing over things that do not matter all the while people are dying.

Well of course Christians were outraged and offended that the song said "shit"or for those easily offended "sh*t". Nevermind the song also said that 50,000 people are dying today, that doesnt seem to offend anyone. Does anyone see the problem with this?

We are so quik to be offended of a mere four letter word and more worried about who people are in love with than the fact that thousands of people are starving to death, killing themselves, and being killed all over the world. Maybe its time to ckeck our priorities and focus on what Jesus calls the "more important matters, Faithfulness, Mercy, and Justice." (Yes, social Justice)

Enjoy the video by Derek Webb "What Matters More"

3 comments:

Ligia said...

Wow!!! Powerful song! You know I am reading "the Hole in our Gospel' and I found a quote that goes perfectly with this..." but Jesus didnt just save us...he saved us for a purpose". often time we get caught up in religiosity and completely leave out Christ! SERVE others, minister with love not picket signs...be a Christian of Action and service!

melissa said...

yes often times we miss the point entirely. i am totally guilty of it in my life.
refocusing

paultilly said...

I agree with DW completely and have loved his music for years. I agree with the message of the song.
But it is no surprise that some are confused by the lyric.

However, I do not think some are as offended as they are wondering why the word is needed. Does someone have to use an "obscenity" to bring attention to death and injustice? I think we should try to be both holy and just.

I think the word simply lacks in holiness. It is just a word, but a word that in our culture is viewed as vulgar and dirty. We are called to be holy. We are supposed to be light. That is my issue with the word.

So while I believe the Church greatly gets it wrong in prioritizing issues, It does not mean the small issues (or words in this case) need to be ignored, and should not be open to criticism. They just need to be prioritized properly.

So to DW I say keep up the amazing work. I will keep listening, but feel free to clean it up a bit, because I want my kids to be able to hear your message too.