Friday, October 1, 2010

A Time To Kill?




Discussion over the first part of Genesis 9 was an eventful one, and I mean that in a good way.

The discussion/debate was over a few verses that appear in God’s covenant to Noah…

“whoever sheds the blood of man,
by man will his blood be shed:”


This guided the discussion of course to capital punishment and whether or not it was ever justifiable to kill. I won’t go into who said what (ok, maybe the title is a little suggestive) but let’s just say I was out numbered for the most part. (The guy next to me was a freaking Sniper in the Army for goodness sakes)

It made for a really good discussion because everyone was very passionate about his or her views, and yet, at the end of the day we were all still united in Christ. Its what I love about our Sunday meetings.

Your thoughts?

Do these verses (and others like them from the Old Testament) indeed promote or condone “just” killing whether it be Capital punishment or self defense?

Or does the "Way" of Jesus demand a different solution? (I think it does by the way)

1 comment:

Scott Little said...

I still like the snipers take on this issue.....we still need to finish on this chapter, I have questions...