Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Are You Envious Because I am Generous?"


Found myself in a discussion the other day with another Christian about grace, forgiveness, and the unconditional love of God. He asked what my view on things such as salvation, end times, and heaven and hell were and after a pretty long talk he pretty much claimed that my view of God’s “unconditional” grace was too inclusive and not fair. ( He also didn’t like that it was actually unconditional)

This, however, wasn’t surprising at all because I have discovered that many Christians do have a problem with certain people receiving the same grace they have received. Its usually the same basic arguments which always include terrorist, rapist, and infamous dictators to make a point. (I think Jesus referred to such people as “enemies” and then commanded that we not only love them, but also, pray for them and do good to them. That’s just crazy talk)

Jesus tells a parable in Matthew 20 about an “unfair” landowner who hired workers to work in his vineyard. Some workers started first thing in the morning while others started at different times throughout the day. Some only worked the last hour of the day and yet when it came time for compensation they were all paid the same amount. Of course those who worked the longest were upset and thought they deserved more, but the landowner says to them, “its my vineyard and I can do what I want.”

Jesus says that this is how the Kingdom of God is… The last shall be first and the first shall be last. In other words those who we think are outsiders are actually in and vise versa.

So I have to agree with my friend… Grace is not fair… and I thank God for that!

1 comment:

melissa said...

Great post! I agree that grace is completely irrational, illogical, inexplicable and totally unfair! That's why it is so unbelievably compelling!