Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do You See The Difference?


Why is it so hard for us to agree to disagree?

I was able to hang out with a long time friend of mine last night. He now lives several hours away and tours around the country year round with his band. So needless to say, we don’t see much of each other any more. So we always have great conversation when he is in town and we get to catch up.

We talked mostly about our faith and how we see and understand things to be much different than we once did. (My last post talks more about this)

Last night, we not only talked about our spiritual journeys, but how our discoveries on spiritual journeys have seemed to change some of our relationships with those around us.

He spoke with me about how he feels that he is hiding something from those he loves because he can not talk about the things that are important in his life with them. He feels he can not have an honest conversation with some of those who are closest to him without someone getting angry, judgmental, upset, or disappointed.

I think I can relate to this as well. There have been people in my life who I could not be myself around, who I could not have an honest conversation with, or express my opinions to without it causing discord or a breaking of friendship.

I am sure I have been on the other end of this as well, Excluding others because of our differences.

Because God forbid we don’t all see things the same way.

Again, I am reminded of the friendships that I have been blessed with. Friends that can hold different beliefs and views and yet still hang out, still love each other, and not allow those differences to interfere with the relationship God has given us. Friends who, not only have different beliefs, but are able to discuss openly and honestly those beliefs without feeling judged or criticized. I have found it to be true that it is in this way, being able to discuss our differences openly, that we learn and grow from one another.

It is very sad, as christians, we let our beliefs and views get in the way of what could be beautiful relationships, and that we distance ourselves from others simply because we don’t agree with them. It is heart breaking to think about how much we miss out on because we are not willing to be open to those around us.

When it comes to faith, do you see what you have in common with everyone else, Christ crucified? Or Do you see the difference?


All the believers were together and had everything in common.

1 comment:

Ligia said...

I think that it is sad when we don't look at people for wh othey are...sinners saved by Grace. Not color, ethnicity or gender. Just people loving Jesus..you know.