Monday, May 24, 2010

Change I Can Believe In


Over the years (especially the last 5 or 6 years) I have discovered the obvious, and that is… people change.

Their style changes, their taste changes, their preferred music genre changes, and of course… their beliefs change.

I sometimes wonder if my wife feels like she has been tricked because I am definitely not the same person I was when she decided to marry me. (I don’t know if this is good or bad. You will have to ask her.)

Over time things change. You experience different events, meet different people, and experience God in new ways. New ways that may be foreign to those around you. For instance, I have met at least two people that have definitely changed my view on the unconditional Love of God. Their names are Eilsey and Durgin. My two children.

As I think back on my faith journey and see beliefs and understandings that have changed and are changing in my life, beliefs that I use to think were “absolutely” true and I would gladly argue with anyone, I now have a completely different understanding of some of those beliefs and understandings.(One being that though fun, it is most of the time pointless to "argue" with anyone.)

In my journey, I call these "changes," growth, Because for me, its been a good thing, a good change. Hopefully, my continual seeking for truth as a journey, rather than a destination, has made me a better person and a better follower of Christ. (Again, you will have to ask those closest to me.)

So I often wonder what will have changed another 5 year from now? How many different ways will God be revealed to me in the years to come?

When you look back on your “faith journey” what are some things that have changed over the years?

No comments: