Monday, April 5, 2010

"Help My Unbelief"



Do you believe in the resurrection of Jesus? What does that look like? Yes, I said what does that LOOK like. Most Christians I have talked to would affirm the belief that Jesus actually resurrected, but is it enough to merely believe in the resurrection? And when I say believe I am referring to the idea of thinking in our minds that something actually happened. For this is what most people believe when they speak of their beliefs.

So is this what it means to believe in something? When Jesus says, “I am the resurrection and the Life. He who believes in me will live…” is he referring to a belief that is separate from our actions? Is Jesus saying, “If you think in your head that I am the resurrection and the Life you will live.”?

Yes what Jesus is saying here does have “afterlife” implications, but also Jesus is making an imperative statement… “If you (really) believe in me then you WILL live out your beliefs. You will live life to the fullest”

If what we claim to believe doesn’t change the way we live, think, react, and most importantly love… then can we really say we believe? Is it possible to “believe” in Jesus and yet at the same time, deny him?


Peter Rollins says it like this...

Without equivocation or hesitation I fully and completely admit that I deny the resurrection of Christ. This is something that anyone who knows me could tell you, and I am not afraid to say it publicly, no matter what some people may think…

I deny the resurrection of Christ every time I do not serve at the feet of the oppressed, each day that I turn my back on the poor; I deny the resurrection of Christ when I close my ears to the cries of the downtrodden and lend my support to an unjust and corrupt system.

However there are moments when I affirm that resurrection, few and far between as they are. I affirm it when I stand up for those who are forced to live on their knees, when I speak for those who have had their tongues torn out, when I cry for those who have no more tears left to shed.

No comments: