Monday, March 29, 2010

The Sheep and the Goats

The Day of the Lord had come and all of creation had been gathered before Him. The time was at hand for God to separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

He gathered the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. To those on his right he said, “You are blessed. Take your inheritance, The Kingdom that has been prepared for you since before the creation of the World. For when I was hungry you fed me, when I was thirsty you gave me something to drink, when I was in prison you visited me, when I was naked you clothed me, and when I was sick you came and took care of me.”

The people on his right responded, “When did we ever even see you?”

The King replied, “Whatever you did to the least of these you did to me.”

Then He turned to the people on his left, who were mostly those who claimed Christianity, and said, “Depart from me for you never knew me.”

The people cried out, “How can this be? We believed all the right things about you! We gathered with each other every week and even went to great lengths to seclude ourselves from those who we perceived as wicked and a threat to your name.”

The creator replied, “And this is the very reason why you never knew me.”

2 comments:

Jani said...

Hohoh. You almost fooled me, since I just read this passage in finnish and I don't know about english translations. :)

Even with original text, these kind of passages are easily used to condemn "others". We are eager to divide sheeps from the goats, even when it is not our job. I can see some christians as goats and propably these same people will see me as a goat too. Everybody sees "loving your neighbour" a bit differently and of course everybody thinks they are doing things the right way.

But great idea in this post was to point out that what Jesus want's from us is not those things that christianity on the surface wants us to do and be. Are people who don't know this goats then? No. They are lost sheep and Jesus definetly has plan to find them back!

So, thought provoking idea. I just might steal this idea of making little twists to Bible texts to my own blog writing!

Jkub said...

Thanks Jani... I am glad that you liked the post