Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Religious Man and the Beggar




To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, he spoke to them this parable…

Two men went to the Temple to pray, one was a very wealthy, religious man and the other a known beggar.

The religious man approached God very boldly saying, “God, I am blessed and I am absolutely sure that you are there and I have never doubted your existence. I thank you that I am not like other people who do not know you as I do- atheist, agnostics, skeptics, and even this beggar beside me. You know that I give my tithe and participate in all my religious traditions. Thank you for all the riches you have given me.”

But the beggar, not sure if his prayer would even be heard, said, “God, I feel as though you have never blessed me and I have every reason to deny you and your very existence. I do not understand your ways. However, I will always follow you. Help my unbelief.”

Then he said to them, “Who went home justified before God? The man who knew God or the man who had faith?”

No comments: