Thursday, February 25, 2010

Knock Knock!


It was a week day, a little after noon, and I was enjoying some quality time with my two kids. I heard a car door slam. It sounded as if it came from our driveway and sure enough when I looked out the window I saw a well dressed woman with pamphlets in her hand making her way to my door. At this time I had no idea what she was going to try and sell me but I know my eyes rolled and I sighed a few times before I even made it to the door.

As I made my way to open the door I had already been planning how I was going to turn her down and get her to leave. Not only did I know that I was probably not interested in what she is proclaiming, but I was a little annoyed to have my day at home with my kids interrupted.

I opened the door and she informed me that she was with the local cable company and she asked, “Do you currently have a relationship with a cable provider?” I informed her we did not have a relationship with any cable provider so she then wanted to know what provider we currently did have a relationship with.

I explained how I grew up in a “Cable” household and when I was married my wife and I converted to Satellite, but we finally gave up all providers all together. I could tell she was a little shocked that we didn’t have a provider, (especially living in the south right in the heart of the Television Belt) but at the same time she seemed relieved that now all she had to do was convince me that Cable was all we would ever need. Now she didn’t have to disprove any another provider, but only show why cable is the best and only way to watch TV.

She held out the brochure in her hand and started leading me through the steps to invite cable into my household. She mentioned some benefits to having Cable and again how it was the only Way to really watch TV, but mostly talked about the consequences of not having Cable in our house. How the torture would be unbearable in the future knowing what we missed out on. She then went on to say that I had better act now because this could be my last chance, this deal may never be offered again. All I had to do was make a direct call to her boss and he would save me… a bunch of money.

I told her once more that I wasn’t interested in what she was selling and about that time my three year old daughter came to the door. Seizing what she knew to be her last chance to tug on my heart strings and to Save me from a terrible decision, the woman began to tell me how adorable my daughter was. “She is so cute,” the woman said, “there are a lot of great things that cable offers for children.” “Yes, she is cute”, I replied, “and I still do not want the Cable you are selling.”

Maybe if she would come up with a new, creative way of proclaiming the good news of cable. Besides the fact that her unannounced visit was intrusive, I could tell that all she was really interested in was checking my name off a list so she would look good reporting back to her congregation of co-workers and leaders. She really didn’t care if I accepted cable as my provider or not. In fact, I know of many who have made the decision to invite cable into their house as a result of these door to door sales pitches and no one from the cable headquarters ever comes back and makes sure that the recipients are doing ok or have any questions about their newly found relationship. The only time they ever hear from the cable company again is if they didn’t show up with their money on time (which would be used to build bigger cable company buildings).
After a few more times of her trying to convince me of why I needed cable and couldn’t live without it, I finally took the pamphlet from her and told her I would look over it (which I never did). That was good enough, she finally left and I was able to get back to playing with my kids.

(Based on several true stories, and some not so true ones.)



Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom, and HEALING every disease and sickness among the people. News about him spread all over Syria, and people BROUGHT TO HIM all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralyzed; and he HEALED them. 25 Large crowds from Galilee, the Decapolis, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan FOLLOWED HIM

1 comment:

Paul Tilly said...

*Snickers* Shakes head in agreement *snickers again*. I dont think any of us would mind an occasional visit from the cable sales person, if they followed it up with discipleship...er, I mean customer service.