Friday, December 18, 2009

Like a Child!


It is snowing here in NC and Eisley, my daughter, who is almost 3 years old, is obsessed with snow. Although she has only seen it snow one other time in her short life she loves it. We often find ourselves running through pretend snow and making snow angels in the middle of her bedroom floor.
This morning, as she was watching "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse",(a time in which there are few things more important to a two year old) I told her to look out the window because the snow had started falling pretty hard. Immedialtely, her attention was disconnected from Mickey and his friends and in a very excited tone she said, "Daddy, I want to touch a snowflake!"
So barefeet and all, My awe struck daughter and I made our way to the back porch where she stretched out her arm and opened her hand so that the snow flakes could make a landing. The look on her face was priceless. A look that captured the awe and wonder of... snow!
I loved this moment with my little girl because it was special, but also because she reminded me of a wonderful truth. That God, beauty, and awe can be seen in everything. I am reminded (very often) by my little prophetess of the instance where Jesus is telling his disciples that unless they change and become like little children they will never enter the Kingdom of God. Jesus compares the presence, or reality, of God to the likeness of a child!
I think this little moment that Eisley and I experienced this morning is part of what Jesus is talking about. Seeing beauty, good, and (most of all) God in all things, and then taking a minute to appreciate and stand in awe of Him.

No comments: